By Larry B. Schuknecht
The firm of Carl Teich was founded in 1864 in Bischofswerda in Saxony as a weapon repair shop. Bischofswerda is situated about 25 miles east of Dresden. Carl was evidently a successful country gunsmith who carried on an extensive retail business. In the 1880’s he described his business as “Gunsmiths, Makers and Retailers of Hunting Arms, Target Rifles and ammunition”. Flintenkalle found many records of business transactions between Teich and other firms between the years 1883 and 1896. Evidently those years were when he was at the peak of his retail trade.
Teich purchased vast queantities of ammunition from the Scoenebeck firm of Sellier and Bellot. A Receipt from as late as 1917 bears this out. He purchased firearms from many firms in Suhl, Zella-Mehlis and from Belgian firms. One of the major suppliers was Gebrueder Zoeller in Zella-Mehlis. They were themselves both manufacturers and retailers of guns made by others.
Three generations of Carl Teich’s ran the firm. Carl Teich Jr. expanded the manufacturing facility to include Bicycles and Sewing Machines. Activities after 1945 were limited to repair and possibly some manufacturing of bicycles, sewing machines and some pnuematic pellet guns. The business closed in 1986 or 1987.
It is interesting to note that a picture of a bicycle tag or metal badge contains a Angel with spread wings holding a shield which has crossed Crozier’s and four six pointed stars. This is the Coat of Arms for the city of Bischofswerda which is based on a 14th Century Seal. The City was founded in the 13th Century by the Bishops of Meissen and remained under their authority until 1559.
The picture with this article shows a 16 ga. side by side shotgun with a Lefaucheux lever lockup. It was originally made as a pin fire and at some later time converted to center fire. It has barrels made in Double Damascus Twist pattern. The name “Carl Teich in Bischofswerda” and the scroll engraving is inlaid with Silver. I personaly believe that this shotgun was made and decorated entirely in Belgium for Carl Teich. It has the Belgian provisional black powder proof mark on the bottom or the left barrel.
The information in this text was generously supplied by Axel Pantermül, Flintenkalle, Axel Eichendorff, Hendrik Frühauf and Peter-Josef Schmidt.